[llvm-dev] Problems trying to build LLVM

Jack Orenstein via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 8 20:34:14 PST 2019

Hi, I am brand new to LLVM, or more precisely, trying to be. I'm getting
stuck on compiling LLVM.

- I tried installing on a Mint 18.1 VM with 6GB RAM, and the builds of some
large executables were killed by the OOM killer. I finally realized that I
needed to build using shared libraries, and succeeded. This was in November.

- I put aside my LLVM project, and just got back to it. I got stuck
compiling the Kaleidoscope demo, encountering this error:

/tmp/kal-2072b8.o:(.data._ZN4llvm30VerifyDisableABIBreakingChecksE+0x0):
undefined reference to `llvm::DisableABIBreakingChecks'

  This discussion, from this mailing list, points out that I need to build
LLVM with -DLLVM_DISABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS_ENFORCING=OFF.

- So now I am trying to rebuild LLVM, and ran into a few new problems.
First, I discovered that I need the Z3 theorem prover. Unsure why this
problem did not show up before.  Second, I'm running into many errors like
this:

    CMake Error at cmake/modules/AddLLVM.cmake:570 (target_link_libraries):
      Attempt to add link library "clangAST" to target
"clangApplyReplacements"
      which is not built in this directory.
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      tools/clang/cmake/modules/AddClang.cmake:86 (llvm_add_library)
      tools/extra/clang-apply-replacements/CMakeLists.txt:5
(add_clang_library)

Getting LLVM installed is proving much more problematic than I was
expecting, based on experience with many other open source projects. Can
someone give me a push in the right direction? I started with this
document: http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html, but found no guidance
about the problems with huge executables, advice about shared libraries,
etc.

Thanks.

Jack Orenstein