[llvm-dev] Removing LLVM_ALWAYS_INLINE from ADT classes

Davide Italiano via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 4 15:14:41 PST 2019

Hi,
I would like to propose, based on a previous discussion on llvm-dev,
the following change.
https://reviews.llvm.org/D56337

The main motivation for annotating member functions of ADT clases with
LLVM_ALWAYS_INLINE  was that of speeding up `check-llvm` at `-O0`.
Turns out this significantly degrades the debuggability of fundamental
classes in llvm itself, e.g. StringRef or SmallVector.

After discussing we agreed that it's reasonable to drop
LLVM_ALWYAS_INLINE from ADT classes  member functions and add a note
in the developer's manual.

If you have any feedbacks or concerns, please speak up.
If nothing major arises, I'm going to commit this patch in a week (or such).

Thanks for your time,

--
Davide

"There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more
or less solved" -- Henri Poincare