[llvm-dev] Undefined symbols with inline functions using the ORC JIT on Linux

Stefan Gränitz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 4 13:49:16 PST 2019

Hi Martin

> However, the inline functions are not in that set so they are not
> promoted to strong definitions. Shouldn't functions defined in the
> jitted code be our responsibility?
> [...]
> This program does not work, clang-interpreter crashes because it
> cannot find the symbol for the Test constructor function.
>
> class Test {
>     public: Test() {}
> };
>
> int main()
> {
>     Test test;
>     return 0;
> }
You could compile your example to bitcode and run it with lli. This will
provide more information and the issue may be discussed easier on
bitcode level. (Not very familiar with clang-interpreter, but it looks
more like an example for illustration than a bulletproof tool.)

> Looking closer what happens with the ResponsibiltySet. When it is
> created it tries to to find symbols for all the names it knows about.
> Eventually the look up request ends up in my application [...]
Instead of using the legacy resolvers you might prefer a fallback symbol
generator here. The lli tool uses this approach to provide symbols from
the host process for the JITed code (see:
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/8ffa038b3ef4448af8bf31f6c50281779939c774/tools/lli/lli.cpp#L807).

Hope it helps
Stefan