[llvm-dev] Migrate utils/ Python 2 scripts to Python 3

Serge Guelton via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 4 01:31:53 PST 2019

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 10:08:04AM +0100, Serge Guelton via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 03:25:10PM +0100, Serge Guelton via llvm-dev wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 04:47:03PM -0500, James Y Knight via llvm-dev wrote:
> > > That said, I do think it could make sense to prepare llvm for the world in
> > > which "python" is python3 on some systems. So, I'd propose the following:
> > > 1. Change all #! lines to say "#!/usr/bin/env python2.7" instead of "#!/usr/bin
> > > /env python", if they only work with 2.7.
> > > 2. If someone feels motivated, and if it doesn't make the code obtuse, port
> > > scripts to work with either version -- and for such scripts, change the #! line
> > > to say "#!/usr/bin/env python".
> >

> > I've started the work:
> >
> >     https://reviews.llvm.org/D55121
> >
> > More patch may come if there's an interest in that.
>
> Most if not all Python scripts in the clang/ repo have been ported and are waiting for reviews.
> I've split them in independant patches to ease the review works:
>
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55259
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55258
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55213
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55208
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55205
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55204
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55202
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55200
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55199
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55197
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55196
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55193
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D55194
>
> Have fun with these!

Hi folks,

It is my great pleasure to announce that most-if-not-all Python scripts from llvm,
clang and test-suite have been updated to work (hopefully) the same way
on Python2 and Python3.

As a consequence, all shebangs now points to python, and not python2 or
python3, and the documentation should now refer to python, whith no
specified version.

So what's next? Maybe some buildbot could be updated to specifically
build with a given Python version, if it's not already the case.

I'll also added an herald rule to review commited python scripts, to
ensure the compatible property remains true over time.

Oh, and I *really* would like to thanks Michael Platings for the tremendous
reviewing job he's been doing on this patch set o/

++
Serge