[llvm-dev] Dealing with illegal operand mappings in RegBankSelect

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 27 11:58:32 PST 2019

Thanks for the details Matt, now I think I can suggest an alternative or provide more reasonable explanation why what you’re doing is right!

Assuming we stick to your current approach, it makes sense to mark the operation legal for vgpr because from RBS point of view the boundaries of the expansion of the instruction are indeed vgpr.

Now, if we want to leverage the infrastructure provided by RBS for this case, a possible alternative would require to unroll the loop (or use a pseudo that would fake the loop unrolling).
Here is what it would look like:
Essentially we would replace:
```
= use <NxsM> vgpr
```
into
```
sgpr1, …, sgprN = extract_reg vgpr
= use sM sgpr1
…
= use sM sgprN
```
In terms of mapping, you would describe vgpr as being broken down in N element of sgpr. The applyMapping would insert the `extract_reg` for repairing and expand the vector use into the scalar uses (or one pseudo with N sgpr as input).

Honestly, I don’t know how much benefit you would get to expose these details to RBS today.
The advantages I see moving forward are:
- At some point I wanted to teach RBS to materialize the repairing code next to the definition (as opposed to the use like we do right now) so that we can reuse that repairing for something else (what you’ve pointed out in your previous reply)
- In the future RBS is supposed to be smart enough to decide that something needs to be scalarized because its uses are cheaper that way. I.e., in your case, the definition of vgpr could be scalarized from the start and we wouldn’t have to insert this repairing code (in other words, RBS would have chosen to scalarize the def of the the vgpr into sgpr instead of repairing the use of the vgpr into sgpr).

Therefore, if we choose not to expose these details to RBS, we shut the door to potential improvements on how the repairing points are inserted/shared and how the cost model is able to deal with choosing the best instructions based on its uses.

Obviously, I haven’t spent a lot of time thinking about for your case, hence it could be completely bogus!

Cheers,
-Quentin