[llvm-dev] Improving textual IR format for nameless blocks

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 22 07:33:44 PST 2019

After watching a few different people get confused about nameless blocks in
llvm IR, and recalling my own confusion a few years ago, I'd like to change
the syntax slightly to make it a bit clearer.

This is similar to the change made for instruction names in
https://llvm.org/PR2480 a decade ago.

Two changes:
1. Change the parsing of a numeric block label to parse as a value number
rather than a string.
2. When printing blocks, always print the value number as a proper label,
except for the initial block.

See proposed change in https://reviews.llvm.org/D58548