[llvm-dev] [RFC] Vector Predication

Robin Kruppe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 4 15:31:49 PST 2019

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 23:04, Simon Moll <moll at cs.uni-saarland.de> wrote:

> On NEC SX-Aurora the vector length is always interpreted in 64bit data
> chunks. That is one example of a real architecture where the vscaled
> interpretation of VL makes sense.

Now this is a problem. Let's leave the details of why RISC-V V needs the
other interpretation to Phab, but we definitely have a conflict in what
these two architectures need. How do we reconcile them? Picking one option
and requiring a multiplication/division of the vlen argument to get the
other meaning is a nice canonical IR form, but it seems a bit problematic
for codegen because that mul/div is a prime candicate for being CSE'd
across blocks (pure calculation, repeated everywhere) and consequently
being difficult to access for pattern matching in the backend.

On the other hand, it's a less serious problem than was previously
discussed re: vlen vs predication. The actual change in codegen is just
omitting one instruction, which one can easily do that in an SSA-based MIR
pass if necessary (instead of during ISel). Moreover, the cost of a missed
folding opportunity is relatively minor, since it'll most likely be just a
shift by an immediate, and it'll usually be amortized over basically the
entire loop body in a lot of code.

Still, does anyone have a better idea?

Cheers,
Robin