[llvm-dev] Flang landing in the monorepo

Peter Waller via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 18 01:55:51 PST 2019

On 17/12/2019 22:25, James Y Knight wrote:
> I think it would probably make the most sense to land this as a single
> merge-commit (from the 2700-commit rewritten history you've created)
> onto llvm-project master, rather than as 2700 individual toplevel
> commits to master. (Which means: disable the merge-commit prohibition
> in the github configuration, temporarily, push this commit, and then
> enable it again).

I understood that the LLVM project did not accept any merge commit so
far. It seems a shame to make an exception if we don't have to.

Can you elaborate on the perceived benefits of having it as a merge?

It's of course technically straightforward to push either "follow-on
commits" or a merge commit.

I think there could be a benefit to having it as a "follow-on commits",
in that checking out an old flang commit won't have the effect of
deleting the rest of the llvm monorepo. Granted, this may be a slim
benefit since it will be a fairly arbitrary revision of the llvm
monorepo, taken at the point of the initial push.