[llvm-dev] Guidance on working with the NVIDIA GPU back-end

Jon Chesterfield via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 16 16:36:09 PST 2019

> <CAG1MoSY3Y89J20eDOWHnUfzwiL2jJG1e9urD90UoUeRYyR7MwA at mail.gmail.com>

Hi all,

> I'm primarily a hardware person but would like to do some
> compiler-architecture co-design research. Are there any good references for
> the NVPTX backend?

Hi Nick,

I've found working near ptxas quite painful. There are various bugs open
against it and the documentation for sass is sparse.

For architecture research, you may have a better time with the amdgcn
backend. The target ISA is well documented, and llc generates code for it,
so there's no opaque translation blob in the way of reasoning about the
system.

There's some notes on the main llvm page and the ISA is published by AMD.
Beyond that I think it's the code and mailing list.

Cheers,

Jon