[llvm-dev] [RFC] High-Level Code-Review Documentation Update

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 2 10:05:20 PST 2019

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

> Mehdi, David,
>
> I think you're both pointing out exceptions rather than the general rule.
> I tried to indicate their might be reasonable exceptions (see the second
> sentence past Mehdi's quote), but in general, particularly for new
> contributors, I think it is important we indicate something to this
> effect.  I've seen multiple new groups have issues around this.  In some
> cases, patches were reverted in post review.  In others, a bunch of time
> was sunk in a direction which turned turned out not to have wide
> agreement.  Cautioning folks to avoid that is important.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on wording which keep the broad message, but
> make it more clear that it isn't a hard and fast rule?

My take on it is that even the broad message isn't how I think of LLVM code
review practices - if the code owner/domain expert is at your company, so
be it. If not, that's fine too - I see lots of reviews by people at the
same company that generally look pretty good & I don't think their the
exception. I'd personally leave this part out - maybe some caveat about not
doing internal review & then summarily approving externally? But that I
think is more the exception than the rule & perhaps not worth including in
the general practices document. But if you've seen several instances of
this sort of issue that seem worth addressing through this mechanism -
yeah, I'd be OK with an encouragement to avoid insular project areas where
possible (especially where there's strong overlap) - seek
external/long-term contributor input especially on design documents and
early/foundational patches, and in general err on the side of seeking more
input from code owners than not. If you ask too often for trivial things,
that's fine - they should hopefully get to the point where they encourage
you to contribute directly/stop asking for their review/approval. But
especially when asking code owners/frequent reviewers/contributors for
review, be extra sure to make the patches small and clear, to have design
discussion ahead of time to avoid designing in a large unwieldy code
review, etc.

- Dave