[llvm-dev] [RFC] Moving RELRO segment

Vic (Chun-Ju) Yang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 29 10:35:18 PDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:10 AM Fāng-ruì Sòng <maskray at google.com> wrote:

> Hello Vic,
>
> To make sure I understand the proposal correctly, do you propose:
>
> Old: R RX RW(RELRO) RW
> New: R(R+RELRO) RX RW;      R includes the traditional R part and the
> RELRO part
> Runtime (before relocation resolving): RW RX RW
> Runtime (after relocation resolving): R RX RW

I actually see two ways of implementing this, and yes what you mentioned
here is one of them:
  1. Move RELRO to before RX, and merge it with R segment. This is what you
said above.
  2. Move RELRO to before RX, but keep it as a separate segment. This is
what I implemented in my test.
As I mentioned in my reply to Peter, option 1 would allow existing
implementations to take advantage of this without any change. While I think
this optimization is well worth it, if we go with option 1, the dynamic
linkers won't have a choice to keep RO separate if they want to for
whatever reason (e.g. less VM commit, finer granularity in VM maps, not
wanting to have RO as writable even if for a short while.) So there's a
trade-off to be made here (or an option to be added, even though we all
want to avoid that if we can.)

> How to layout the segments if --no-rosegment is specified?
>
> One option is to keep the old layout if --no-rosegment is specified, the
> other is:
>
> Old: RX RW(RELRO) RW
> New: RX(R+RELRO+RX) RW;     RX includes the traditional R part, the RELRO
> part, and the RX part
> Runtime (before relocation resolving): RW RX RW;      ifunc can't run if
> RX is not kept
> Runtime (before relocation resolving): RX RW   ;      some people may be
> concered with writable stuff (relocated part) being made executable

Indeed I think weakening in the security aspect may be a problem if we are
to merge RELRO into RX. Keeping the old layout would be more
preferable IMHO.

> Another problem is that in the default -z relro -z lazy (-z now not
> specified) layout, .got and .got.plt will be separated by potentially huge
> code sections (e.g. .text). I'm still thinking what problems this layout
> change may bring.

Not sure if this is the same issue as what you mentioned here, but I also
see a comment in lld/ELF/Writer.cpp about how .rodata and .eh_frame should
be as close to .text as possible due to fear of relocation overflow. If we
go with option 2 above, the distance would have to be made larger. With
option 1, we may still have some leeway in how to order sections within the
merged RELRO segment.

Vic