[llvm-dev] [RFC] Moving RELRO segment

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 29 02:42:09 PDT 2019

Hello Vic,

I don't have a lot to add myself. I think that majority of the input
needs to come from the OS stakeholders. My main concern is if it
requires work on every platform to take advantage or avoid regressions
then perhaps it is worth adding as an option rather than changing the
default.

Some questions:
- Does this need work in every OS for correctness of programs? For
example you mention that cross-DSO CFI implementation in Android
needed to be updated, could that also be the case on other platforms?
- Does this need work in every OS to take advantage of it? For example
would this need a ld.so change on Linux?

The last time we updated the position of RELRO was in
https://reviews.llvm.org/D56828 it will be worth going through the
arguments in there to see if there is anything that triggers any
thoughts.

Peter