[llvm-dev] Cannot run LLVM unit tests doe to python error in lit

Sergej Jaskiewicz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 23 02:51:20 PDT 2019

Thank you for pointing a direction, Michael.

This allowed me to investigate the issue, which was not in lit, but rather in CMake configuration.

The issue was that when llvm-lit.py was executed, 'config_map', which maps lit config files from source directory to build directory, was empty, because the template for llvm-lit.py, llvm-lit.in, contains @LLVM_LIT_CONFIG_MAP@, which was being expanded to an empty string.

Why was it expanded to an empty string?

Well, as I’ve said, I’m building a cross-toolchain, which means that first I build llvm & clang, and then using the just-built compiler compiler-rt and friends are built. All of this in a single Ninja invocation. This is achieved by setting the -DLLVM_ENABLE_RUNTIMES="compiler-rt;libunwind;libcxxabi;libcxx" flag.

It turns out that everything is OK at configure time for LLVM & clang, @LLVM_LIT_CONFIG_MAP@ is expanded correctly. But then, during the ninja invocation, after the compiler is built, a new CMake command is run _at build time_ to configure and build compiler-rt (namely builtins & runtimes) using the just-built compiler. This new CMake invocation calls ‘configure_file’ again, this time replacing @LLVM_LIT_CONFIG_MAP@ with an empty string, erasing the previous expansion.

I’ll see if I can fix this, but currently I guess a workaround would be to first build LLVM & clang with  -DLLVM_ENABLE_RUNTIMES="", run the relevant tests, and only then build the runtimes.