[llvm-dev] Docs: Re-organizing the LLVM docs

Cranmer, Joshua via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 22 14:05:10 PDT 2019

The break-down of “User Guides”, “Programming Documentation”, and “Subsystem Documentation” has always been difficult for me to remember which group the document I’m looking for is actually in.

I’d propose a breakdown that looks more like this:
# How to build/package/dockerize/etc. LLVM (it’s surprising how many pages we have on this!)
# How to use LLVM tools. This is the “I’m using LLVM solely from the command-line, what do I do?” section.
# The LLVM Reference – this would include the Language Reference as well as backend-specific pages that describe how target-specific information works for those targets (honestly, we could use more of that), the details of atomics and exception handling, etc. This is the “I’m writing/reading LLVM IR, what do I do?” section.
# The LLVM API Reference – this covers the links to Doxygen, description on the AliasAnalysis interface, etc. This is the “I’m using LLVM as a library (or to write a pass, or a backend, or within LLVM itself), what do I do?” section, and it probably warrants a few subsections (e.g., details for backend implementation).

The rest of the documents are hard to categorize, being a mix of documentation of formats (say the .PDB documentation guide), description of LLVM passes, details of implementation approaches (e.g., Spectre mitigations), and some information for people who want to understand terminology.