[llvm-dev] Docs: Re-organizing the LLVM docs

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 22 11:13:56 PDT 2019

As part of my Google Season of Docs project, I’ve been conducting a content
audit of the LLVM docs. My goal is to identify specific categories and
tasks under which the docs can be re-organized. One of my first suggestions
will be to turn the main index (llvm.org/docs) into a landing page of
sorts. Here’s an example of how the new index page might look:

# Welcome/About

* Introduction and overview of LLVM

* Topic links

# Getting Started/Tutorials

* Brief description w/topic links

# Reference

* Brief description w/topic links

# Getting Involved/Community

* Overview of how to get involved with the LLVM project

* Topic links

Due to the sheer number of topics, there would also need to be “sub-pages”.
For example, there could be a separate Reference page that lists all of the
available reference topics by category.

One thing I’m having trouble with is determining how to split up (i.e.,
categorize) the many topics listed under User Guides, Programming
Documentation, and Subsystem Documentation. Some topics are easier to
categorize than others, such as topics specific to getting started,
troubleshooting, logging bugs, etc. But other topics are harder to
categorize. Should they be broken up based on where they fall within the
LLVM toolchain? For example, a category for topics specific to the
Optimizer.

Given that you’re all more familiar with the LLVM project than I am, I’d be
curious to get your thoughts/suggestions as to how you might split up the
docs to make it easier for new and existing users to locate the information
they need.

Thanks,

DeForest