[llvm-dev] Floating point operations with specific rounding and exception properties

Simon Moll via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 21 01:52:13 PDT 2019

Hi,

The LLVM-VP extension (https://reviews.llvm.org/D57504) generalizes
PatternMatch.h to match FP intrinsics as well as regular fp (vector)
instructions with the same pattern. We use this to lift the pattern
rewrites in InstSimplify and InstCombine to predicated vector
instructions. The same logic could be applied to "scalar" constrained FP
intrinsics. Hal has requested that the VP intrinsics model fp
exception/rounding too.

So the suggestions is to keep using fp exception/rounding mode arguments
but teaching LLVM to handle them in its optimizations and analysis.

Example
-----------

PatternMatch.h changes: https://reviews.llvm.org/D57504#change-cWgJ3XBlLNvs
AddSub in code in InstCombine:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D57504#change-24P4gqRF9sNj
Note that "visitPredicatedFSub" will match either the regular FSub
instruction or the llvm.vp.fsub intrinsic.

- Simon

Simon Moll
Researcher / PhD Student

Compiler Design Lab (Prof. Hack)