[llvm-dev] [RFC][RISCV] Selection of complex codegen patterns into RISCV bit manipulation instructions

Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 14 05:31:27 PDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:13 PM paolo via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
Hi.

> I'm currently working on the implementation for LLVM of the RISCV Bit
> Manipulation ISA extension described by Clifford Wolf in the following
> presentation:
>
> https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.10-b_wolf.pdf
>
> and the following document:
>
> https://github.com/riscv/riscv-bitmanip/blob/master/bitmanip-0.90.pdf
Nice!

You only want to lower LLVM IR @llvm.cttz intrinsic in *that* case.

> What I'm wondering is, is there already any place in LLVM where complex
> patterns like this are already lowered into single instructions? (e.g.:
> clz, that is used quite often). Maybe at a higher level?
That depends.
If there's LLVM intrinsic for it, then any normal optimization pass could do it.
In cttz's case it's mainly done in LoopIdiom pass.

> Another point of view that I've been suggested and that I'd like to
> discuss is: does it make sense to implement such lowering for operations
> that normally a user wouldn't implement from scratch when an intrinsic
> function is already available for that?
Again, i'd say this is too broad of a question.
If there is LLVM IR intrinsic, then you only need to lower it,
and optionally ensure that middle-end passes form it from appropriate IR.

If there isn't one, then yes, you'd want to match all the beautiful wilderness
of the possible patterns that combine into that instruction.

While it's really tempting to just add IR intrinsic for everything,
please do note that a new intrinsic is completely opaque to the rest of LLVM.
It does not magically get peep-hole folds, so those would need to be added,
especially if you intend to form said intrinsic within the middle-end from IR.

This may change some day when these peep-hole folds are auto-inferred,
but that is not so nowadays. Really looking forward to that.

> Many thanks.
>
> Paolo Savini
Roman.