[llvm-dev] [LLVM] (RFC) Addition/Support of new Vectorization Pragmas in LLVM

Cameron McInally via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 8 17:50:42 PDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM Finkel, Hal J. via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 8/8/19 2:03 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> First, as a high-level note, you posted a link to a Google doc, and at the
> end of the Google doc, you have a list of questions that you'd like
> answered. In the future, please put the questions directly in the email.
> For one thing, more people will read your email than will open your Google
> doc. Second, having the questions in the email should allow a better
> threading structure to the replies.
>

>    -
>
>    Ivdep: Is clang loop vectorize(assume_safety) equivalent to ivdep? To
>    what extent do the semantics of ivdep need to be modified for Clang to
>    create an equally “useful pragma”? To what extent would it be helpful
>    to have this pragma in Clang?
>

> There is a fundamental problem with the way that ivdep is defined by
> Intel's current documentation, at least for C/C++. As you note in your
> Google doc, it essentially says that the optimizer may ignore loop-carried
> dependencies except for those dependencies it can definitely prove are
> present. These are not semantics that any other compiler can actually
> replicate, and is not equivalent to "vectorize(assume_safety)" (which
> asserts that no loop-carried dependencies are present). The good news is
> that, in conversations I've had with Intel, an openness to making these
> semantics more concrete has been expressed. I think it would be very useful
> to have ivdep in Clang, but only after we nail down the semantics with
> Intel is some useful way.

To be fair, IVDEP most likely originated at Cray. [Or maybe Control Data.
The history is fuzzy that far back. I do know it predates ANSI C.]

There's a publicly available copy of the Cray C/C++ manual here:

https://pubs.cray.com/content/S-2179/9.0/cray-classic-c-and-c++-reference-manual/vectorization-directives

Scott Manley from Cray would be good resource to tap for clarification on
the semantics.