[llvm-dev] Trouble with ORCv2 Tutorial

Zeke Medley via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 8 11:07:52 PDT 2019

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for pointing that out :) That's my mistake.

I might have been misidentifying the issue with the assert statement.
With those fixes made function calls seem to all call the first
function called in the REPL. For example:

ready> def fib(n) if (n < 2) then n else fib(n - 1) + fib(n - 2);
ready> fib(40);
Evaluated to 102334155.000000
ready> fib(10); # This should not have the same result as the earlier call.
Evaluated to 102334155.000000

Both of those calls evaluate fib(40) despite the second one being a
call to fib(10). The same goes for further calls to functions. If I
subsequently define another function in the same repl session and call
it, it uses the results of the first function call in that repl
session:

ready> def bar(x) x + 1;
ready> bar(1);
Evaluated to 102334155.000000

I suspect that this has to do with the fact that in ORCv2 we can no
longer remove modules meaning that the code in
HandleTopLevelExpression can't wrap up by removing the most recent
module it added. The tutorial does lookups by creating a function with
no arguments names "__anon_expr", calling it, then removing it AFIK
and because ORCv2 doesn't allow for the removal part as of yet, my
hunch is that the issue is there.

Any thoughts from anyone?

If this does end up being an issue with how the tutorial looks right
now and not me making a mistake I'll happily volunteer to update the
tutorials as needed :)

Zeke