[llvm-dev] [lld] section attributes lld can use to safely drop a section from obj files

Sameer Abu Asal via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 6 16:51:03 PDT 2019

--Sameer Abu Asal ,

Yeah, there is an attribute you can use to tell the linker to ignore a
> section, SHF_EXCLUDE. it was used for some DWARF stuff here:
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D52303

YES, that is what I am looking for!!.

Too bad there is no simple mechanism to  attach section attributes for a
Global in LLVM IR.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 12:25 PM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, there is an attribute you can use to tell the linker to ignore a
> section, SHF_EXCLUDE. it was used for some DWARF stuff here:
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D52303
>
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 11:52 AM Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I guess I will ask the obvious question: Can Swift be migrated to the
>> .deplibs feature that was added to ELF LLD instead?
>>
>> Hmm, I think a switch to the .dplibs or .linker options is possible.
Maybe Saleem can chime in on this.

I don't know the answer to your original question, unfortunately.