[llvm-dev] Disk space and RAM requirements in docs

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 30 00:06:48 PDT 2019

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 07:38, Petr Penzin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Is this expected or am I doing something wrong? If it is expected, should the manual be fixed?

It's been like this for a while, and IMO it's a bug in how those tests
were implemented. Disk space is cheap, but shouldn't be wasted that
badly.

Unfortunately the fix isn't simple. I tried modifying the tests to
remove their output when done a while back, but Windows has weird
non-determinism in when locks on just-closed files are released and
wouldn't let the script remove them sometimes; so it had to be
reverted.

I think someone suggested modifying llvm-lit to keep closer track of
temporaries and remove them, but I don't recall how that necessarily
helps things and never got around to implementing it.

Cheers.

Tim.