[llvm-dev] Total response file count limited to 21

Chris Glover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 26 08:13:13 PDT 2019

Hi,

I recently hit this on a project using a build system that relies heavily
on nested response files. We found we could only have 21 response files total
before getting errors related to the unexpanded response files. I tracked
it down to this code in llvm/lib/Support/CommandLine.cpp

    // If we have too many response files, leave some unexpanded.  This
avoids
    // crashing on self-referential response files.
    if (RspFiles++ > 20)
      return false;

This seems rather arbitrary and in tests I was able to increase it to 200
reliably, which we could do locally for now, but I feel there must be a
better way to handle this by tracking processed response files instead of
just bailing like this. Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

-- chris