[llvm-dev] Accelerating TLI getLibFunc lookups

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 23 17:50:28 PDT 2019

TLDR: Figuring out whether a declaration is a TLI LibFunc is slow.  We
hammer that path in CGP.  I'm proposing storing the ID of a TLI LibFunc
in the same IntID field in Function we use for IntrinsicID to make that
fast.

Looking into a compile time issue during codegen (LLC) for a large IR
file, I came across something interesting.  Due to the presence of a
very large number of intrinsics in the particular example, we were
spending almost 30% of time in CodeGenPrep::optimizeCallInst, and within
that, almost all of it in the FortifiedLibCallSimplifier.  Now, since
the IR file in question has no fortified libcalls, that seemed a bit odd.

Looking into, it turns out that figuring out that an arbitrary direct
call is *not* a call to a LibCall requires a full name normalization and
table lookup that a successful one does.  We could simply make the
lookup itself faster - it looks like we could probably tablegen a near
optimal character switch lookup table - but that still leaves us with
the normalization.  We could cache the lookup, but then we have an
analysis invalidation problem for all users of TLI.  Not unsolvable, but
not fun if we have a better option.

Instead, I noticed that we have no overlap between intrinsics, and
target library functions.  Assuming we're happy with that, and don't see
that changing in the future, that gives us an opportunity.  We could
cache the libfunc ID into the Function itself, just like we do for
intrinsics today.

What would that look like in practice you ask?

  * We'd move the definition of LibFunc into
    include/IR/TargetLibraryFunctions.h/def (only the enum, not the rest
    of TLI)
  * We'd change IntID field in GlobalValue to be union of IntrinsicID
    and LibFunc.
  * We'd change Function::getIntrisicID to check the HasLLVMReservedName
    flag (already existing), and return Intrinsic::not_inrinsic value if
    not set.
  * We'd add a corresponding getLibFuncID, and isLibFunc function to
    Function.
  * We'd modify recalculateIntrinsicID to compute the libfunc enum as well.

The tradeoff is that function construction and renaming would become
slightly slower, but determining whether a function was a library
function would become fast.  We could also populate the value lazily,
but that seems like complexity with little benefit.

Thoughts?  Objections?  Better ideas?

If folks are on board with this, I'm happy to prepare a patch.

Philip