[llvm-dev] [RFC] New Clang target selection options for ARM/AArch64

Manoj Gupta via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 10 09:15:00 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 9:03 AM David Spickett <David.Spickett at arm.com>
wrote:

> Hi Manoj,
>

> Not too late at all, we have not got to that point of the work yet.
>

> Are there examples of this kind of build setup that are available
> publicly? I think I understand the problem but it'd help to see one in
> action. To see if there are any other Arm extensions that are already being
> added like this and whether those systems support GCC and how.
>

> One example where we had to use "-Xclang -target-feature ... " is here:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/refs/heads/master/third_party/crc32c/BUILD.gn#120

This had to be done because Chrome OS build system passes the exact
"-march=value" depending on the ISA supported by Chromebook but crc32c
wants crc+crypto for runtime cpu detection based code.

As a result,  one of the "-march" options either specified by Chrome OS or
crc32c build has to lose the race as there was no other way to specify
crc+crypto additively.

Thanks,
Manoj