[llvm-dev] [RFC] migrating LLVM to C++14

Ed Maste via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 9 05:53:00 PDT 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 20:41, JF Bastien <jfbastien at apple.com> wrote:

> > FreeBSD version / LLVM version / Release date / Support end date
> > 10.4 / 3.4.1 / 2017-10 / ended Oct 31, 2018
> > 11.1 / 4.0.0 / 2017-07 / ended Sep 30, 2018
> > 11.2 / 6.0.0 / 2018-06 / current
> > 12.0 / 6.0.1 / 2018-12 / current
>
> IIUC FreeBSD is fine because LLVM 6 and above are the only compilers it currently supports? That’s great news.

Correct, the oldest supported release has LLVM 6, and switching to
C++14 is fine as far as FreeBSD is concerned.

(We do have some 2nd tier architecture ports which still use GCC 4.2.1
(!) as the base system compiler. As support improves for the
combination of FreeBSD and LLVM on those archs we will either migrate
to an updated external GCC port, or cross-compile from recent LLVM to
bootstrap.)