[llvm-dev] LLVM 8 + Mavericks?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 8 12:39:02 PDT 2019

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 18:28, Audiovisart <audiovisart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed seeing amidst msgs "Could NOT find Z3 (missing: Z3_LIBRARIES
> Z3_INCLUDE_DIR) (Required is at least version "4.7.1")"

This is normal. Z3 is a SAT solver library, and not even remotely
essential to compiling or running LLVM. I've seen the message
thousands of times.

> that stopped saying it didn't find "compression.h", I thought it should
> be somewhere because I've zlib installed, I looked and it wasn't
> anywhere, although I webbed that MacOSX 10.13 sdk has it so I unpacked
> it to Xcode so I had MacOSX10.9.sdk and MacOSX10.13.sdk in SDKs, I
> erased all build files, cmake now displayed "Found SDK version 10.10"
> (it puzzled me, I've 10.13), I ran make and got:
>
> /Users/mkl/Downloads/llvm/llvm-8.0.0.src/tools/lldb/tools/debugserver/source/RNBRemote.cpp:45:10:
> fatal error:

That's unfortunate, but if it's restricted to lldb you might have some
luck if you just didn't bother compiling that and just used the system
debugger. If you're actually trying to work on lldb you may need a
more robust solution, but that's pretty rare.

> lld::mach_o::MachODylibFile::exports(llvm::StringRef, llvm::StringRef)
> const + 53

lld is unfortunately not a suitable replacement for the system's own
ld64. Some work was done a few years back, but it never reached
anything near feature parity and has bitrotted since. You should only
be using it for ELF and COFF (and WAsm) unless you're planning on
working on lld itself, and then you'd know the issues.

So, in summary my advice is:

1. Only build the bits of LLVM you intend to work on and use.
2. Use the system tools to do that build where possible.

Cheers.

Tim.