[llvm-dev] Instruction Execution With Hard Limitation at Runtime

Duan Bing via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 1 08:16:38 PDT 2019

I am trying to give a quota of how many instructions can be run to a
program.
So create a simple function as below:

define void @add_gas(i64 %gasCost) {
__virtual_entry:
  %0 = load i64, i64* @__WAVM__XX__gGasUsed     ### I am sure it exists,
same as the __WAVM__XX__gGasLimit
  %addtmp = add i64 %0, %gasCost
  %1 = load i64, i64* @__WAVM__XX__gGasLimit
  %cmptmp = icmp sgt i64 %addtmp, %1
  br i1 %cmptmp, label %then, label %ifcont

then:                                             ; preds = %__virtual_entry
  call void @exit(i32 1024)
  ret void

ifcont:                                           ; preds = %__virtual_entry
  store i64 %addtmp, i64* @__WAVM__XX__gGasUsed
  ret void
}

; Function Attrs: noreturn nounwind
declare void @exit(i32) #2

Then, I insert this function into the beginning of each basic block the way
as below:
ifElse55:                                         ; preds = %ifElseEnd53
  call void @add_gas(i64 1)
  br label %ifElseEnd56

ifElseEnd56:                                      ; preds = %ifElse55,
%ifThen54
  call void @add_gas(i64 2)
  %378 = load i32, i32* %11
  br label %ifElseEnd41

ifElse40:                                         ; preds = %blockEnd23
  call void @add_gas(i64 2)
  %379 = load i32, i32* %11
  br label %ifElseEnd41

ifElseEnd41:                                      ; preds = %ifElse40,
%ifElseEnd56
  call void @add_gas(i64 2)
  %380 = phi i32 [ %378, %ifElseEnd56 ], [ %379, %ifElse40 ]
  br label %ifElseEnd3

ifElseEnd3:                                       ; preds = %ifElseEnd41,
%ifThen1

but, when I run my program by RuntimeDyld,  I got an error:

While deleting: i32 %
Use still stuck around after Def is destroyed:  %380 = phi i32 [ %40,
%ifThen1 ], [ <badref>, %ifElseEnd41 ], !dbg !27
Assertion failed: (use_empty() && "Uses remain when a value is
destroyed!"), function ~Value, file
/Users/duanbing/Project/llvm/llvm/lib/IR/Value.cpp, line 90.

Can you give me some tips about what's happened or how to debug this?
Thanks!