[llvm-dev] Obtaining the origin function for a local var after inlining

Alexander Potapenko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 25 03:10:50 PDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 5:18 PM Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

> >> If you are looking at a llvm.dbg.declar/value/addr intrinsic, then the DILocation attached to the intrinsic indirectly points there:
> >>
> >>  DIScope *Scope = DILocation(dbg_intrinsic.getDebugLoc()).getScope();
> >>  while (!isa<DISubprogram>(Scope))
> >>    Scope = Scope->getScope();
> >>  auto *origFunction = cast<DIFunction>(Scope);
> > This works, thank you!
> >
> > (I had to slightly modify the code FWIW:
> >    DILocation *DIL = dbg_intrinsic.getDebugLoc();
> >    if (DIL) {
> >      DIScope *Scope = DIL->getScope();
> >      while (Scope && !isa<DISubprogram>(Scope))
> >        Scope = Scope->getScope().resolve();
> >      auto *origFunction = cast<DISubprogram>(Scope)
> > )
> >
> > I also thought that it would be natural if the AllocaInst
> > corresponding to the llvm.dbg.declare() call will share the same
> > DILocation as the debug intrinsic.
> > Does anyone have an idea why this isn't so?
>
> First off, this is up to the frontend to decide. But generally, an alloca is almost always part of the function prologue and the DILocation assigned to it is almost meaningless because it won't (directly) get generated into any code that could be associated with a dbeug line table entry. The second reason is that it could be that the dbg.declare is inlined and describing an sret value where the alloca belngs to the call site's stack frame.
>
> > Right now one needs to build a mapping between AllocaInst and
> > llvm.dbg.declare() in order to get the debug info for the allocation.
>
> No, you can just call llvm::findDbgUsers() to find any debug intrinsics referring to any llvm::Instruction.
It also turns out that for certain AllocaInst instances there're no
llvm.debug.declare intrinsics referring to them, only several
different llvm.dbg.value calls.
For most of them the DILocation match that of the inlined local
variable, however some reference other code locations, e.g. places
where these allocas are passed as function parameters.

For example, in the attached IR file (ptrace.ll, generated from the
attached ptrace.c) the following llvm.debug.value() calls reference
the |siginfo| variable declared at line 888 in ptrace.c:

  %siginfo = alloca %struct.siginfo, align 8
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !6801, metadata !DIExpression()) #6, !dbg !7046
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !7022, metadata !DIExpression()) #6, !dbg !7027
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !6793, metadata !DIExpression()) #6, !dbg !6967
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !6937, metadata !DIExpression()) #6, !dbg !6942
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !6556, metadata !DIExpression(DW_OP_deref)), !dbg !6931
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !6556, metadata !DIExpression(DW_OP_deref)), !dbg !6931
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata %struct.siginfo* %siginfo,
metadata !6556, metadata !DIExpression(DW_OP_deref)), !dbg !6931

E.g. here the second and the fourth intrinsics have debug info values
!7027 and !6942 pointing at lines 670 and 654 respectively (siginfo_t*
parameters of ptrace_setsiginfo() and ptrace_getsiginfo())
The last three intrinsics indeed point to line 888, where |siginfo| is declared.

Is the DW_OP_deref tag enough to distinguish the right llvm.dbg.value?