[llvm-dev] RFC Storing BB order in llvm::Instruction for faster local dominance

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 25 12:16:17 PDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:22 AM Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> To be clear, I’m a superfan of your work and agree that “automatic invalidation and simplification” are good goals.  I’d just love to see more analysis of the situation before burning space on this extra field.
>>
>> For example, it would be very interesting to see what the typical distribution of local dominance queries actually are.  You could take your patch here and have it instrument the “Instruction::comesBefore” method to log the distance between the instruction numbers to a file and generate a histogram of them.   My bet is that the vast vast vast majority of them will be small (and I’d guess a HUGE number of them have a distance of +1/-1, whose query can be resolved without computing a numbering in the first place).
>>
>> Can you do that experiment and report back, e.g. on the SemaChecking.cpp testcase?
>

> Fair enough. I made a patch to do that, and uploaded it here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D52510
> I put it into a spreadsheet and made a histogram here: https://goo.gl/AMLBt7
> I grouped the typical query distances into natural log buckets, and the table is small enough to paste here:
>
> distance freq
> 1-2 3707
> 2-7 5622
> 7-20 25764
> 20-54 1726
> 54-148 2052
> 148-403 4462
> 403-1096 8423
> 1096-2980 20487
> 2980-8103 34930
> 8103-22026 63759
> 22026-59874 41729
>
> I think the table shows that local dominance queries are, at least for SemaChecking.cpp, not clustered around small distances. The average query is somewhere out around 11,000 instructions apart.
>
> One thing to note is that the code in question isn't using DominatorTree::dominates. That was identified as a hotspot, so it's using OrderedBasicBlock, but it's not caching it at a high enough level to avoid quadratic behavior. Raising it up isn't easy, hence this patch.
>
> Sanjoy also wanted more data and suggested that I re-run the max RSS during full LTO of llc experiment that I did when I removed the vptr from Value. I went ahead and did that on the review, but it's not on the dev list, so it may not have enough visibility. I found that the max RSS before the patch was 4816464 kb, and after, 4867836 kb. That's an increase of 1.06%, or in absolute terms, ~50MB of memory spent on instruction positions during full LTO of llc.
>
> I think Sanjoy's bit-stealing suggestion is a worthwhile alternative to growing Instruction, but I really think we should analyze it from the position of, is the complexity of bit-stealing from Parent worth it to shrink Instruction?

Let's not assume a dichotomy between storing a int64 in
llvm::Instruction and bitwise tricks -- they're both ways of caching
position within llvm::Instruction.  I think we first need to establish
that we need such a cache in llvm::Instruction/llvm::BasicBlock at
all.

Do you have a sense of where these expensive domtree queries are
coming from?  Are they from a couple of key places or are they
scattered throughout the pass pipeline?

-- Sanjoy

-- Sanjoy