[llvm-dev] Fixed Point Support in LLVM

Leonard Chan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 20 11:36:11 PDT 2018

Hi all,

We will be adding intrinsics for now to get a working version of fixed
point arithmetic implemented in clang faster, but will still consider
either adding a new fixed point type in LLVM or new operations that
perform these fixed point operations on integers. This is a list of
all the intrinsics that I plan to implement and wanted to see if
anyone had any feedback on their signatures/semantics.

; Signed and unsigned saturation
; Unsigned saturation would primarily just saturate to W_MAX since you
can’t really saturate towards 0 for an unsigned number
declare iN @llvm.ssaturate(iN %Val, i32 %W)
declare iN @llvm.usaturate(iN %Val, i32 %W)

; Saturated addition and subtraction.
; Scale is not necessary since fixed addition/subtraction does not
care about the scale as long as the operands have the same scale. This
will require a shift beforehand regardless.
; We cannot use the existing overflow add/sub intrinsics since they
only indicate overflow but not direction to saturate in.
declare iN @llvm.satsadd(iN %L, iN %R)
declare iN @llvm.satuadd(iN %L, iN %R)
declare iN @llvm.satssub(iN %L, iN %R)
declare iN @llvm.satusub(iN %L, iN %R)