[llvm-dev] Generalizing load/store promotion in LICM

Alina Sbirlea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 18 14:50:51 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com>
wrote:

> This is going OT from the original thread, but, what the heck...

Sorry, not my intention, I was just giving another reason why getting
promotion done in LICM differently would be helpful.

> Alina, can you explain the challenge with implementing promotion over
> MemorySSA?  On the surface, it seems like it should be fairly straight
> forward to provide an alias set like abstraction over MemorySSA.  What am I
> missing?

Yes, it is straight forward to have alias sets on top of MemorySSA, but it
will likely lose most of MemorySSA's benefits.

> Here's a sketch of how I'd think to approach this:
>
> Visit the MemoryPhi nodes in a loop.  Every interesting promotion case
> (mod in loop) must be involved in at least one MemoryPhi cycle.
>
> For each MemoryPhi in the header, create a set of all MemoryDef
> instructions involved.  (I'm saying this in terms of instructions, but sets
> of MemoryLocations should be equivalent.)
>
> For each instruction in loop, identify it's (optimized) memory def.  If
> that def is outside loop, and we're looking at a load/store, then we can
> trivially hoist/sink (aliasing wise only).  If the def is in the loop, it
> must be involved in one of our cycles, add it to related alias set.
>
> When I last looked, we were debating whether MemoryPhis were optimized by
> default.  Did we end up deciding they weren't?  If so, I can definitely see
> the problem there.  Even then, constructing an AST for only the
> instructions involved in a loop MemoryPhi cycle should be pretty cheap.

AFAIK there is no notion of MemoryPhis being optimized. Each block has a
*single* MemoryPhi, which has the last Def from each incoming block.
MemoryDefs and MemoryUses can be optimized through Phis. MemoryDefs are
also not optimized from the start, only MemoryUses are.

All MemoryDefs build a single def chain, regardless of whether they alias
or not. Doing alias sets means checking alias() at least for all pairs of
Defs, since alias relation is not transitive. That is, even if we optimize
all MemoryDefs, we may still need additional alias() calls to build those
sets. But the cheaper way here is not to optimize all Defs, but instead do
alias/modref calls only for the Def we're processing currently to determine
if *that* can be moved (+ cache those results in some new form of alias
sets if a "leave this in the loop" answer is received).

We may also need additional alias() checks for Uses, since, again, due to
non-transitivity, a Use's clobbering access may be a Def with which it
MayAlias (let's call it D1), but that D1 may be NoAlias with some D2,
giving no info on the (Use, D2) alias relation. If NoAlias, D2 can be
promoted, if MustAlias, the set (Use, D2) can be promoted, if MayAlias, we
cannot promote anything.

The AliasSetTracker has a cap after which it gives up and merges all sets,
and so will an implementation of sets with MemorySSA, since the cost is the
same: lots of alias/modref calls. Granted, MemorySSA has fewer, especially
for Uses, but we will still need a cap for pathological cases, while
getting benefits for small loops.

Trying to get back to the original topic. The reason promotion is so
difficult in the current form, is that it promotes a whole AliasSet. And
that AliasSet is built based on conservative alias decisions. If we were to
split the promotion problem into a PRE for loads, then sink for stores, the
problem becomes more manageable as far as the number of alias calls; we'd
process one memory-accessing instruction at a time, and, with the right
processing order, MemorySSA should be a better fit.

> Separately, can you summarize what the overall status of MemorySSA is?
> I've lost track.  It looks like it's enabled by default for EarlyCSE.  So,
> does that mean we believe the bugs have been worked out and we "just" need
> to plumb it through the pipeline?

Sure!

MemorySSA is fairly stable right now (i.e. no known bugs). I've been
working on extending the APIs for updating it (e.g. D45299
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D45299>, D48396 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D48396>,
D48897 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D48897>), and added the plumbing to update
it in the Utils (D48790 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D48790>, D45300
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D45300>) and through the loop pass pipeline (
D50906 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D50906>, D50911
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D50911>, D45301 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D45301>,
D47022 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D47022>, D51718
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D51718>).
LICM is the loop pass I've picked back up now, and the first that also uses
MemorySSA vs just updating it. Patches in Phabricator are fairly old (D40375
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D40375>, D35741 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D35741>).
I'm going to upload the rebased and updated versions once they're ready for
review.
The actual use/update is currently disabled by default (flag to enable:
EnableMSSALoopDependency).

I also recently became aware of EarlyCSE using MemorySSA. There are no
correctness issues with that but there may be missed optimizations in
subsequent passes using MemorySSA (D51960 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D51960> for
details and to avoid going even more off-topic) .

Thanks,
Alina