[llvm-dev] Unsupported relocation of variable ' '

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 18 10:50:45 PDT 2018

On 18 September 2018 at 08:17, Zhang via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Hi:
> This was from my pile of workload dated back to the LLVM6.0 Release.
> I had a transform pass which generates perfectly valid IR containing a bunch
> of indirectbr instructions. Seems like when targeting AArch64 backend , the
> compiler would crash with a message "Fatal Error: Error in backend:
> Unsupported relocation of variable '' "
>
> I'd like to know if this is a known bug and has been fixed in the 7.0
> release? Since I haven't got time to reduce the affected IR and submit a
> proper bug report yet.

Hello Zhang,

I don't think we can give you much of an answer without more details.
A brief grep for similar strings gives one result of "unsupported
relocation of variable" in
Target/X86/MCTargetDesc/X86MachObjectWriter.cpp

Given that you were targeting AArch64 something strange must have
happened or a similar string was removed from the AArch64 backend.
Either way I don't think we can say that the problem you were seeing
has been fixed.

Peter