[llvm-dev] LLVMContext: Threads and Ownership.

Alex Denisov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 17 00:33:05 PDT 2018

Hi Lang,

Thank you for clarification.

> Do you have a use-case for manually managing LLVM module lifetimes?

Our[1] initial idea was to feed all the modules to a JIT engine, run some code,
then do further analysis and modification of the modules, feed the new versions
to a JIT engine and run some code again.

It didn't work well with MCJIT because we did not want to give up the ownership
of the modules.
However, this initial approach did not work properly because, as you mentioned,
compilation does modify modules, which does not suit our need.

Eventually, we decide to compile things on our own and communicate with the
Orc JIT using only object files. Before compilation we make a clone of a module
(simply by loading it from disk again), using the original module only for analysis.
This way, we actually have two copies of a module in memory, with the second copy
disposed immediately after compilation.
It also worth mentioning that our use case is AOT compilation, not really lazy JIT.
As of the object files we also cannot give up on the ownership because we have
to reuse them many times. At least this is the current state, though I'm working on
another improvement: to load all object files once and then re-execute program
many times.

Also, we wanted to support several versions of LLVM. Because of drastic
changes in the Orc APIs we decided to hand-craft another JIT engine based on your
work. It is less powerful, but fits our needs very well:

    https://github.com/mull-project/mull/blob/master/include/Toolchain/JITEngine.h
    https://github.com/mull-project/mull/blob/master/lib/Toolchain/JITEngine.cpp

We also parallelize lots of things, but this could also work using Orc given that we
only use the ObjectLinkingLayer.

P.S. Sorry for giving such a chaotic explanation, but I hope it shows our use case :)

[1] https://github.com/mull-project/mull