[llvm-dev] Syntax for FileCheck numeric variables and expressions

Thomas Preudhomme via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 12 06:50:38 PDT 2018

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback. Replies are inline.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 at 15:26, James Henderson
<jh7370.2008 at my.bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response - I've been on annual leave for the past week.
>
> > == Conversion to hex of negative values ==
> My initial thought was that we should issue an error, but actually, I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, as I could imagine needing to add together signed integers and hex-captured values. A good example of this are ELF relocations, where it is quite normal to need to add together a signed addend and an unsigned offset.

In case that was not clear, I was not suggesting preventing
expressions with hex and decimal values, only converting the resulting
value if negative to an hex output. ie.

[[#%x, FOO:]]
[[#%d, BAR:]]
[[#%x, FOO+BAR]]

would be allowed as long as FOO+BAR is positive.

> Instead, I think you should assume a 4-byte sized value by default, and use something like %lx to represent 8-byte values (and similar patterns for 2-byte or possibly even single-byte ones), emitting an error if not possible, because the size is too large.

Should I do the same for signed and unsigned decimal conversions then,
ie. give an error if the expression cannot be expressed in 32bit
unless there is a l modifier?

> > == Implicit conversion ==
> I think having a default conversion of the same format as the captured variable makes sense. However, I think we are just risking confusion if we try to do any implicit conversions from one type to another. In such a case, I think I'd be inclined to force the user to provide a format specifier if the types of the input variables are different and emit an error otherwise, although maybe there is a case for %d and %u being combined. On the other hand, I think combining %d and %x types could get particularly confusing. Here's what I'd propose:
> 1) Drop the distinction between %x and %X (see below). Hex values should implicitly match other hex values, regardless of case.
> 2) Ban implicit conversions when combining %x/X with %d/u. I don't see an inherent reason why one should be better than the other and a default could cause confusion/false positives etc.
> 3) If %d/u is mixed and the expression is negative, match %d, otherwise match %u (because %d and %u are identical in this situation).
>
> Related aside: if %u is explicitly specified, and the result is negative, I recommend emitting an error, since it's not possible to represent a negative as an unsigned integer without assuming some size of values and underflowing.
>
> On the distinction between %x and %X, I'm not sure if we need it. It seems unlikely that the user cares about the case of the hex digits in the majority of instances where expressions are required. The only case for distinguishing that I can think of is if a user wants to test the actual output style, in which case they can still use {{[0-9A-Fa-f]}}.

Yes, I suppose they could use a CHECK or CHECK-NEXT with numeric
expression for testing the value and a CHECK-SAME with [0-9a-f] or
[0-9A-F] to test for format on a separate line. I'll incorporate the
change, thanks.

> > == Format specifier ==
> Your comments here seem sensible to me.
>
> Regards,