[llvm-dev] linear-scan RA

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 11 11:42:51 PDT 2018

Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 11:23, Preston Briggs
<preston.briggs at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Yes, I quite liked the things I've read about the PBQP allocator.
>
> Given what the hardware folks have to go through to get 1% improvements in scalar code,
> spending 20% (or whatever) compile time (under control of a flag) seems like nothing.
> And falling back on "average code" is a little disingenuous.

There are also instances where PBQP actually does worse than Greedy
(see Arnaud's presentation from my previous reply), so I don't think
it is fair to say that graph coloring should be the default.
In my opinion, there isn't a clear winner in terms of the performance
of the generated code between both the PBQP and greedy, thus, LLVM
default is to take the one with the fastest compile time.

If you believe that should be changed, feel free to start an RFC/post
a patch on changing the default allocator.

> People looking for performance don't care about average code;
> they care about their own personal code, their important loop, and wonder
> why there are unnecessary copies right there and wasn't this problem
> solved ages ago?

If it was, I don't think we would have this conversation :). Graph
coloring is just another representation that has its own advantages
and limitations (like ignoring the structure of the program, spilling
is an after thought, to name a few).
At the end of the day, we are comparing heuristics so of course we can
find examples where one performs better than the other. At this point,
the developers can try both and pick the best. The current default
seems fine though. But again that's just my opinion.