[llvm-dev] Understanding LLVM Optimization (Rpass=inline)

praveen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 3 11:20:03 PDT 2018

Dear LLVM community :-)

I'm a novice in compiler principles and optimization, I'm currently
working with some example code to see what && how LLVM optimization is
doing to generate good machine code. While working  I find some
functions are being inlined by llvm and some are not, but I don't know
the internals of optimization so I can't able to figure  the reasons and
rationale behind them.

For example:

struct value{

int set(){} // Function does nothing!

};

void foo () {} // Function does nothing!

void func( ) {

value obj;

obj.set();

foo();

}

Compiling with command  "clang++ -O2 -std=c++11
-stdlib=libc++/__//_*-Rpass=inline*_/ name.cpp prints

only obj.set() was inlined but not foo(). I don't understand the
rationale behind this (both are empty functions right ?). Why LLVM not
inlining the function "foo" ?

Could you please share some pointers (videos or blogs) which explains
the design of llvm optimizations :-). And also what is mean by _/cost
and threshold in inlining functions?/_/like (cost=always and
cost=never). /_/
/_

Next,
_//_

Clang documentation (here
<https://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#cmdoption-wambiguous-member-template>)
mentions that -_/Wambiguous-member-template/_ warning _is defaulted to
on_. But when I actually compile the same code as in documentation it
doesn't throw up any warnings. Is the documentation is out-dated for
clang 8.0.0 ?

Software details :

Clang 8.0.0 , Linux mint.

Hardware details:

X86-64 bit.

Could you please share your knowledge for the above questions ? it is a
great help to me

Thank you very much for your time,

PreeJackie