[llvm-dev] GN build roundtable summary; adding GN build files to the repo

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 17:15:58 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:39 PM Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2018, 23:28 Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com wrote:
>
>> That is certainly possible, however if we're going to re-write the entire
>> build system anyway.......
>>
>> One thing to think about is that generated IDE projects from CMake are
>> less than ideal.  In fact I actually made a post about this a few weeks
>> ago.  In MSVC I consider them barely usable.  I can edit files and get code
>> completion with them, but that's about it.  Navigation is painful at best
>> (can take several up to 10 seconds just to open a file), and everything is
>> extremely slow because MSVC is churning away trying to process its build
>> dependency graph.  Occasionally things just stop working for 10-20 seconds
>> at a time.
>>

> One of the advantages of clang being in a separate repo which can be built
> independent of llvm is that both are then in smaller solutions. The clang
> build would treat llvm as an external dependency and not have it's cpp
> files in the solution.
>
> I know we're moving to a monorepo and VS solution size is not part of that
> consideration, so that size reduction won't be possible anymore.
>
> I don't know if there are other ways to reduce solution size. I also
> haven't hit performance problems related to VS, though I only build
> llvm/clang/cte on windows, I don't do development on it.
>
> I can see if I can reproduce the kinds of problems you see tomorrow. Can
> you give me a got URL and cake command line to repro exactly your
> experience?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen.

You can actually use the command line I posted earlier, just change to
debug and everything else is the same.  Try typing “> open
CodeViewDebug.cpp” in the Go to Find combo box.  Sometimes it works, other
times I wait 20 seconds and give up.

There’s also the issue that everything is organized by target which makes
the browsing experience also not very friendly.