[llvm-dev] RFC: Dealing with out of tree changes and the LLVM git monorepo

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 15:13:18 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 3:02 PM Justin Bogner via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Just to elaborate a bit on why I think this is important, I think the
> difference between the two approaches to conversion have to do with what
> we consider the real source of truth in our repository history. The
> current prototype rebuilds everything with SVN as a source of truth and
> throws out the official git mirrors, which sounds nice in theory, but
> has pragmatic problems. The reality is that a lot of people have been
> basing work off the git mirrors for a number of years now, so throwing
> away that history causes real world problems.

When you say, SVN is the source of truth, I agree, it is, the official git
mirrors were never the source of truth. Any time you would've had to
upstream a patch with the current SVN system, you end up rebasing it and
losing the merge history. I don't see how moving to the monorepo is
different. It'll only be painful for a few years, as you've said, which is
kind of to be expected.

That said, I haven't dug into the zipper proposal, maybe it's not a big
imposition. I just never felt that the "official" git mirrors were
particularly official, they were always just something for developers to
use to get work done, available without too many implied promises of
stability.