[llvm-dev] RFC: Dealing with out of tree changes and the LLVM git monorepo

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 10:16:25 PDT 2018

 > Issues with integrating the prototype
 > difficult to correlate one to the other or even to tell which is which.
 > new set of hashes for commits and no easy way to map them to
 > existing references

I would like to point out that while majority of the issues described
here are very real,
mapping two commits to each other seems to be rather straightforward by
the means
of SVN revision, which is still available in any kind of git-svn
conversion I'v seen.

It might present considerable inconvenience when investigating history
manually,
but all the kinds of automation is possible (e.g. remapping commits in
bug-tracking system,
filtering commit messages to refer to proper commit SHAs etc).

The only configuration when SVN revision is not enough is when you need
to map commits
coming from different "subrepos", where there is no one-to-one
correspondence between
commits and SVN numbers.

regards,
   Fedor.