[llvm-dev] Migrating llvm-objdump and a few other common binutils replacements away from llvm::cl.

Kristina Brooks via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 31 02:02:00 PDT 2018

Hi,

Just wanted to ask, does anyone have any objections to me working on refactoring
a few common LLVM tools (objdump, nm, strings, readobj) to use the new TableGen
based option interfaces and submitting a diff for each one? Just wondering if
anyone else is currently working on this and so I don't end up doing redundant
work as there were a few discussions regarding `llvm::cl` and I think there is
a general agreement in that that should be something for LLVM parts to expose
various tinkering options, not for handling regular tools.

Especially considering there were a few points raised regarding threading and
the global state of these options, I think this is one of the few places I can
be useful and address part of the problem by moving those interfaces.

I also want to improve the quality of help for those tools overall to match their
GNU counterparts more closely and possibly add options for colorful output where
it makes sense and makes it easier to read things like section dumps of ELF objects
for example.

Is anyone currently working on this and if not, how does the overall community
feel about me approaching those things with differentials on tool-by-tool basis
just to improve the overall experience of using those tools (instead of getting
a lot of not-so-relevant information from `llvm-objdump --help`)?

Let me know what you think and if someone is already working on some or all o
these tools in which case I could perhaps focus on others?

Thank you for your time reading this.
- Kristina