[llvm-dev] multi-entry function (debug info)

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 24 08:54:09 PDT 2018

Getting back to what the DWARF should look like, I solicited examples on the dwarf-discuss list.  gfortran emits sibling DW_TAG_subprogram entries for the SUBROUTINE and each ENTRY, which seems like a hack.  But both IBM XL Fortran and OpenVMS Fortran will emit a DW_TAG_subprogram for the SUBROUTINE, and it will have a child DW_TAG_entry_point for each ENTRY within the SUBROUTINE.  Each of these entries will have its own set of DW_TAG_formal_parameter entries, according to the spec.
This aligns with my expectation, that the ENTRY is "contained" within a SUBROUTINE, and the natural way for DWARF to represent this is by having entry_point children of the subprogram DIE.
--paulr