[llvm-dev] RFC: An Extension Mechanism for Parallel Compilers Based on LLVM

Adve, Vikram Sadanand via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 22 21:35:14 PDT 2018

This is not focused on OpenMP-type systems – we aim to support a wide range of languages.  Tapir supports Cilk, for example.  HPVM is flexible enough to support both general-purpose languages like OpenMP, OpenCL and CUDA, as well as domain-specific ones like TensorFlow.

Halide and Tiramisu are more domain-specific, and could in principle be hosted on top of this mechanism (although there may not be any reason to).

The point about “vastly more targets” seems like a misunderstanding: the RFC puts no restrictions on how many targets any parallel compiler hosted on top of the mechanism could target (e.g., HPVM can target as many as Halide or Tiramisu).