[llvm-dev] [RFC] Enable thread specific cl::opt values for multi-threaded support

Yevgeny Rouban via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 22 07:46:46 PDT 2018

Hello Matthias.

The idea of having a separate API for options in LLVMContext is good but
difficult to implement. That is probably why it has not been evolved.
There are so many cl::opt all over the code to change ... This would also
split all cl::opt into incompatible groups: those that are bound to
LLVMContext and those that are not.
With the proposed thread local option context
(https://reviews.llvm.org/D53424) your
idea can be simulated by binding LLVMContexts with ContextValues and
setting threads to their LLVMContexts' ContextValues.
I believe that D53424 is a minimal change that can greatly extend the
cl::opt-based configuration flexibility without affecting other aspects.
This change does not contradict with module flags, LLVMContext Debug
options and other ways we have to customize the pipeline.

Thanks.
-Yevgeny Rouban