[llvm-dev] [clangd-dev] Subprojects, GitHub, and the Monorepo

Manuel Klimek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 22 01:38:48 PDT 2018

Fundamentally, I think there's an underlying question here:
Have the projects under LLVM grown diverse enough that one solution doesn't
fit all any more, at least for docs & bug tracking?

The reason clangd lives in LLVM is a technical one; the user base in terms
of who interacts with the community is very different; we want clangd bugs
to be reported by folks who would never file a compiler bug (because from
their point of view, it's always a bug in your own code ;). Bug reports for
clangd are by their nature less "heavy", because clangd is not a precise
enforcer of a standard, but a little helper to the programmer who is judged
by providing value, not whether it is right (according to some standard).
For example, "these 2 completions are in the wrong order" is a useful and
valid bug report.

I'd agree that we can take it slowly if this was just about making our own
lives easier. This is about the lives of our users, though, where I'd argue
that making it more frustrating for them is ultimately going to make it
hard to deliver a compelling product.

Cheers,
/Manuel