[llvm-dev] Does anyone have issues with clang-with-thin-lto-ubuntu buildbot failing for practically every commit?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 20 10:14:38 PDT 2018

Bots are generally configured not to send email if they didn't start
/newly/ failing on the commit (or, unfortunately, the range of commits) in
question. If you're seeing that (an already failing bot send fail-mail to a
newer commit that wasn't involved in the change of state from green to red)
- certainly something we should all look into.

Beyond that - some bots have longer cycle times which tends to mean larger
commit ranges, which leads to a higher chance that any given cycle will
fail (more changes, each with usually an independent/average chance of
failure... etc). That's unfortunate, but about the only solution is to find
some way for the bot to run faster (so it can have smaller commit ranges
between each run) or use more machines on that bot configuration (so each
one kicks off a smaller range/runs in parallel with others) - if a bot has
a really long cycle time such that the blame is rarely useful, I think it's
reasonable to push back a bit on the bot owner & perhaps they should be
responsible for first level triage so as not to waste a lot of developers
time looking at blames taht aren't theirs.

As Zach said - looks like perhaps it picked up some other change along with
yours that was, probably briefly, out of conformance with warnings?