[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 18 08:01:31 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 12:22 AM Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <
dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:

> I did a sanity check of tree hashes and found something suspicious.
>
> Background: I cloned the prototype as remote "github/llvm-git-prototype"
> and then added the existing Git mirror as "llvm.org/llvm":
>
> I did a couple of tree object spot checks.  At ToT the tree objects match,
> both giving the tree 8cf37e491e61:

Great, thanks for the verification!

> But then I looked at r3210, and the tree objects don't match:
>

> Picking another two arbitrary revisions: the tree objects for r43210
> match, but not those for r3333.
>

> Do you know what would cause the trees to diverge?  Could there be a
> correctness issue here?

Indeed! There are intentional divergences from the existing git conversion
-- and from the SVN repository -- before SVN r37801. Before that revision,
I've fixed up some of the history where it was screwed up due to CVS
shenanigans. (r37801 was the first commit actually done in SVN) I
completely neglected to mention this to you last night, sorry -- I blame
lack of sleep.

What you _will_ find, is that the repository now matches what was actually
supposed to be in it, down through llvm release 1.4. This was achieved by
moving files back to their original locations, at the appropriate points in
history.

This was a problem, because back in CVS days, if someone wanted to move the
directory lib/Bytecode/Archive/... to lib/Archive/..., they might just "cp
-r" the directory full of CVS ,v files in the repository storage, and then
make a CVS commit removing the old location. HEAD then looks fine, then,
but old revisions will then look like the file was already present in the
new location -- when it shouldn't have been there yet. Worse, sometimes you
might just MOVE the directory. Then, again, HEAD looks like you want it to,
but old revisions have the files missing from their expected location, and
only present in the alternative location.

The following commits now match up with the contents of tarballs for that
version released on llvm.org (modulo line endings):
release_20~1
release_19~9
release_18~1
release_17
release_16
release_15
release_14 (modulo "libg" and LLVMVsTheWorld.html which was deleted 2
commits earlier).

The release tarballs are a nice point-in-time reference -- and for the
commits in between the releases, the historical record we have is the
llvm-commits mailing list archives, which list the filenames that were
modified in a commit -- as they were actually named at the time. I used
those both as a reference. Before the release_14 point, things got a bit
messier and I gave up trying to fix it all, so the release_13 tag and
earlier still have some issues due to CVS file moves.

 On Oct 11, 2018, at 15:27, James Y Knight via llvm-dev <