[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Andres Freund via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 16 09:33:05 PDT 2018

Hi,

On 2018-10-15 21:30:50 -0700, Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev wrote:
> Summary
> ========
>
> I'd love if there was a way in the new repo to mark commits as being known
> to be bad. I don't know whether this should be a separate database, a text
> file in the repo with a list of hashes, tags with names fitting some
> pattern, or something else.
> [...]
> Discussion
> =========
>
> There are, alas, a lot of bad commits in the llvm project history. Most of
> them get backed out fairly quickly, but sometimes not.

That's quite doable with git notes [1] and a few conventions about
contents. Would need some documentation about such conventions and their
use (and potentially a hook to enforce them).

I'd personally not try to tackle that at the same time as the migration.

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-notes

Greetings,

Andres Freund