[llvm-dev] OptBisect implementation for new pass manager

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 4 00:58:46 PDT 2018

Sorry I'm late to the thread (conference + vacation delayed me). I've tried
to skim the thread, but haven't found too much real conclusions to a few
points I'd like to make. If any of the below re-hashes stuff that was
already covered, my apologies and feel free to just mention by whom or what
date and I'll read more carefully.

I feel like the design of this is made unnecessarily complex and could be
simplified in a few ways. These all stem from a key aspect of bisection:
this is a *development* activity. It doesn't have to hit some specific
quality bar the way that `optnone` and -O0 (which are both exposed to
users) need to....

Some immediate simplifications:

1) I don't think we need to go out of our way to connect the IR pass
bisection (in the new PM) with codegen's IR pass bisection. We already have
two tools (`opt` and `llc` and can drive them separately IMO).

2) I also don't think we need the subtle *correctness* guarantees of
`optnone` which really and truly IMO require *passes* to make the decision
rather than some abstract pass pipeline system.

3) I think we really do want high *resolution* of bisection even if it
isn't 100% functional. Let's imagine that this skips a "necessary" pass for
some behavior. The IR will still be valid, and this step of bisection can
still be very useful for reducing crashes and assert failures.

4) I believe we can re-use the debug counter infrastructure that did not
exist when OptBisect was first introduced rather than rolling a custom
version. It's possible there are use cases this cannot handle, but it might
be worth trying to avoid inventing another thing here.

Given the above, I'd really be interested in seeing how far we can get with
a simple debug counter wired up to the new instrumentation framework, and
nothing more. Could we get that working? Can we see where that would be
genuinely insufficient for developers (as opposed to simply producing a
slightly different workflow or command sequence)?

Regarding #2 which is I think the most surprising thing... Keep in mind
that *after* we finish bisection, we can still run some minimal second set
of passes in order to generate "correct" code. Also, I believe debug
counters has the ability to disable only for a range of counts and then
re-enable. Well designed bisection test scripts should be able to preserve
and/or synthesize the necessary bits to keep IR "working" for whatever
constraints a particular reduction has.

Hope all of this makes some sense.
-Chandler