[llvm-dev] OptBisect implementation for new pass manager

Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 1 16:54:42 PDT 2018

> If I interpret Chandler right, generic nature of pass instrumentation framework solves this
> objection by abstracting everything out of pass manager itself. There is now a good alternative
> to both coding everything in all the passes and polluting pass manager with non-pass-managing
> details.

That may well be the case. I certainly wouldn't want to speak for Chandler, and I have to admit the comment I made earlier sounds dangerously like a game of telephone with all the misunderstandings inherent in that.  My understanding at the time was that not having the Pass Manager make any decision based on the contents of the IR was an important part of the issue. I think you have that covered.

From there, I would argue that it's a matter of extending this sort of principle through and making sure that at each level the component involved is doing what it should be doing and not borrowing any part of another component's domain. I think we're all in agreement about that too.

At this point it feels to me kind of like we're getting a bit of churn. Concerns have been raised and discussed in circles. It doesn't seem like new concerns are coming up. Maybe you could now take this input and put together a concrete proposal for the parts that can be implemented now. I like what you've done so far and am confident that you're going in the right direction.

-Andy