[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding a code size analysis tool

Vedant Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 1 16:48:57 PDT 2018

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 3:25 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 3:24 PM JF Bastien <jfbastien at apple.com <mailto:jfbastien at apple.com>> wrote:
>> On Oct 1, 2018, at 3:16 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com <mailto:dblaikie at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> (my vote, somewhat biased - is that I'd love to see more investment in Bloaty (to keep all these sort of size analysis tools and tricks in one place), but sort of accept folks are probably going to keep building more infrastructure for this sort of thing in LLVM directly)
>
> I get where that comes from, but it seems a bit like a Valgrind versus sanitizer argument: integrating with the toolchain gives you things you can’t really get otherwise. Valgrind is still great as a self-standing thing.
>
> Not sure that's quite the same though - with sanitizer integrating with the optimizers is the key here.
>
> With bloaty - it could, at worst, use LLVM's libDebugInfo as a library to implement the more advanced debug-using features without being less functional than an in-LLVM implementation.

I’m a bit biased too, but fwiw: my preference would be to add a new size analysis tool to llvm.

Such a tool might grow to depend on code for object file parsing, debug info parsing, demangling, and disassembling (all of which bloaty either reimplements or pulls in). Living in-tree should make it easier to pick up bug fixes in these dependencies and reduce maintenance overhead.

While I really like bloaty, my impression is that it’d be better to implement the functionality I’d like to use in a new tool.

vedant